First Deputy Prime Minister Askar Mamin and Akim of Turkestan region Zhanseit Tuimebayev have delivered reports at the meeting.
Having heard the presented information, the President of Kazakhstan noted the need for high-quality and timely implementation of the adopted road map, as well as ensuring the uninterrupted provision of all state services by the regional government bodies.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev dwelt on certain issues that require attention from the region’s leadership.
- It is necessary to strengthen financial health of the region. The economic base of the region decreased because of Shymkent’s withdrawal from its composition. Today the region alone provides only 20% of the budget needs. The main task is looking for new reserves for growth and flow revenue of the region, the Head of State underlined.
At the same time, the President of Kazakhstan pointed out the importance of providing the population with jobs, as well as creating conditions for growth of entrepreneurship, agriculture and improving the quality of transport and logistics services.
- The possibility of creating Central Asia international trade zone should be considered. This will give impetus to the development of the economy of both Turkestan region and the entire country. We have the potential to increase trade with Uzbekistan by 2020 to $ 5 billion per year. In this regard, I instruct the Government, together with the Akimat of Turkestan region, to work with the Uzbek side on establishing the international trade zone and a new international checkpoint Turkestan, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of State also dwelled on the issues of promoting domestic tourism and preparing the appropriate tourist infrastructure.
The President of Kazakhstan called on local business representatives, as well as the leadership of national companies and enterprises of the quasi-public sector to take an active part in the development of the region.
During the meeting, Nursultan Nazarbayev gave a number of specific instructions to the Government and the region’s leadership on the further development of the regional centre.
The Head of State ordered to ensure proper repair of roads inside the city by attracting investments, and also build a bus station in Shymkent and Kyzylorda directions.
- In connection with the growth of the city's population and the volume of tourists, the Akimat together with Samruk Kazyna Fund, the Ministry of Investment and Development are instructed to consider the reconstruction of the station in Turkestan, increase its capacity, and build the airport and provide air transportation, the President of Kazakhstan said.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev focused on the development of social facilities, construction of housing, educational and medical institutions, engineering infrastructure, including water supply systems, gas supply and heat supply. In this context, the Head of State instructed to consider the possibility of using alternative energy sources.
- It is necessary to create conditions for the rise of entrepreneurship and attract investment. We should also start construction of new hotels, restaurants, cafes, shopping and entertainment centres and other facilities, the President of Kazakhstan noted.
Nursultan Nazarbayev stressed the urgency of creating a special economic zone in Turkestan, which will be aimed at creating favourable conditions for business development in the sphere of tourism, construction and production.
- Turkestan needs to be transformed in accordance with our culture, using modern technologies. It is important to preserve its ancient architecture. I instruct the Government and the regional akimat to prepare the city’s master plan, taking into account the growth rates of its population, the Head of State said.
In conclusion, the President of Kazakhstan has publicly signed decrees approving the concept of the general development plan for Turkestan and creating Turkistan special economic zone.